(This item is subject to special postage, click here for more information.)
In 1857, engraving the battle honours of the regiment for all the foot guard units became mandatory. The last three Crimean War battle honours (Sevastopol, Alma & Inkerman - all granted in 1855) are engraved in a different hand to the earlier ones, almost certainly signifying an earlier date for the weapon itself.
In all likelihood, this would have been carried in the Crimean War. Prior to this, the foot guards would have used the standard 1821 pattern gilt-hilted sword with either the pipeback blade or the Wilkinson blade of 1845 with a single fuller, similar to this one. The engraving on the blade of these earlier weapons was normally limited to placing the badge on one side of the blade with no mention of battle honours.
The maker's cartouche (at the forte of the blade) is that of Cater of 56 Pall Mall, London. Virtually all the factory finish is extant on the blade, with a few minor blemishes here and there. The blade (32.5" long) has been very carefully sharpened for field service in its day and has never been taken out of the hilt.
The hilt and scabbard have been carefully hand cleaned, having both been covered with minor surface rust and dried grease. The fishskin on the hilt is in reasonably good order, but has the residue of dried grease from storage and minor portions of the silver wire service are missing. The hilt has much of its original lead polish finish, especially to the exterior. There is some minor residual patina on the bars of the guard and other iron elements of the hilt.
An example of one of these swords appeared in the Gary Bates sale at Bonham's Oxford in 2012 and made £1,500 hammer. However, that example belonged to Charles Baring and was a Wilkinson sword.