(This item is subject to special postage, click here for more information.)
These swords were carried in the Peninsula and at Waterloo by the Light Cavalry and horse artillery of both the regular army and the King's German Legion, and also by the yeomanry at home. This early variant (viz no ears on the grip) is an officer's example (viz the silver wrap grip and split rings on the scabbard).
The sword was retailed by Durs Egg, Haymarket, London (engraved in a circle on the back of the scabbard), who was one of the most important gun makers of the period; in fact, he was gun maker to the Prince Regent, and swords were a sideline. The blade is marked J.J. Runkel, Solingen, on the spine of the blade at the forte.
The blade is 32.25 inches long and is engraved with the royal cypher and the pre-1801 coat of arms. The original gilding is retained within the engraving, but the blueing has been totally renewed with a modern gun blue preparation, hence the rather strange colour. (The blueing could be removed, using Solvo Autosol or some such carborundum compound, but the risk is that some of the gilding would be lost in the process, so perhaps best left.)
The hilt and scabbard have a dark patination with some evidence of old pitting throughout the scabbard, which is otherwise in good shape. The grip would appear to have all its original leatherwork and wiring.
The price reflects the condition of the sword, in particular the blueing. One of these in really good shape would fetch some £3,000.